Some have asked me for my famous Mee Jawa recipe(muahahaha... I'm such a vain pot!). So, I would like to share with you this delicious noodle recipe handed down by my arwah grandma (abah's side) to mak and now to me. Hope you'll love it as much as I do.
3 onions (bawang besar) - blended
3 tbs blended chilli
30g dried prawn - blended
2 tbs salted soya beans (tauchu) - blended
2 tins of coconut milk ( santan from 2 biji kelapa)
2 mugs of water
1 packet of egg noodle (mee kuning)
fried shallots (bawang goreng)
salt and sugar
1. Fry the onions and chilli till fragrant (pecah minyak).
2. Add the dried prawns and stir till well-mixed.
3. Then add the salted soya beans (tauchu) and still till well mixed.
4. When everything is well fried up (must yield a dark red color mix), pour in the coconut milk and water.
5. Don't forget to stir often as you don't want the coconut milk to curdle.
6. Once the gravy starts to boil, turn the heat to medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. It it's too thick, add more water. If it's too watery, simmer till it becomes quite thick.
7. Add salt and sugar to taste. It should taste salty and sweet all at once.
8. While the gravy is simmering, boil the eggs and potatoes, celur (what's celur in English?) the beansprouts, fry the beancurds and cut the cucumber into the size of match sticks. Cut the boiled eggs into wedges or slice it (which ever way you prefer, doesn't matter), dice the boiled potates and slice the friend beancurd.
9. To eat, pour the gravy over your noodle and garnish it with the eggs, potatoes, beansprouts, cucumber, beancurd and fried shallot.
10. Slurrrppppp all the way. Ahhhhhh... sungguh nikmat rasanye, hehehhe...