I had a makan session at my place recently especially for dear Zoow. Emi, Nong and Hazel came along as well. I made nasi lemak and the works, sambal udang petai, mayonnaise chicken, tiramisu and had lots of local fruits at hand to the likes of manggis, pink dragonfruit, durian and mandarin oranges.
I had such a lovely time eating and yakking away. We were, as usual, loud, boisterous and laughing like banshees at times. The only time that we were quiet when everyone was savoring the delicious organic durian from Janda Baik. It was so quiet for a moment that you can literally hear a pin drop.
Thanks Zoow, Emi, Nong and Hazel for coming over. I had fun feeding you guys. And Zoow, next time you know the secret weapon to winning Zara's heart kan. Arm yourself with a camera and she'll suck up to you in no time at all.
This was what was left of the tiramisu that I made. It was a hit with everyone even Hannah who is notoriously known for being a picky eater (so I was told by her mom). I'm relieved that it turned out well. I can't believe how easy it was to make. Ingredients can be pretty expensive what with the mascarpone cream and savoiardi fingers. Below is the recipe if any of you is interested in trying
4 large eggs separated
4 tbs caster sugar
1 tub mascarpone cream
3 tsp good coffee mix with 2 cups warm water
cocoa for dusting
1. Over a double boiler, beat egg yolks and 2 tbs of sugar till they become lemon-colored and light in texture (looks like custard).
2. Beat in mascarpone cream till well incorporated. Set aside.
3. Over a double boiler, whip egg whites with remaining 2 tbs of sugar till firm peaks are formed. This will take about 6-7 minutes. Good exercise for the arms.
4. Fold in egg whites mixture into mascarpone cream mixture.
5. Dip savoiardi fingers into coffee mixture lengthwise. Do this quickly or else the fingers will get soggy and break in your hands. Let at least half of the fingers get absorbed with the coffee.
6. Arrange coffee-fingers in a rectangular dish till completely covered.
7. Spoon half of mascarpone cream mixture on top of coffee-fingers.
8. Repeat process of layering coffee-fingers and then spooning cream mixture on top.
9. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
10. Dust some cocoa powder on the cream mixture prior to serving
11. Enjoy with loved ones.